Acne scars are the result of inflamed blemishes that lead to uneven texture. In case of severe acne, large pus filled cysts are formed which destroy the skin tissue, inhibiting the natural healing process.
Not sure what your skin type is and what treatment would suit your acne the best? Take this free Skin ID test and know your skin better!
Causes of Acne Scars
- When these cysts heal, it usually leaves behind a scar. Externally, pricking on even a tiny zit can cause scarring.
- Acne scars manifest as areas of pitted or raised skin and can occur on the face or body.
- Inflammation is directly responsible for the scar development- greater the inflammation, greater are the chances of scarring.
- Whiteheads and blackheads rarely result in scarring. Inflammatory acne- cysts, papules, pustule- are most common causes of acne scarring as these are most likely to affect the deeper layers of the skin.
If you don't know why you got acne, this free Skin ID test might still help and give you an idea and help you understand your skin better.
Avoiding Acne Scars
It is difficult to completely avoid scarring, but these steps will help you minimize them:
- Treat acne: quick treatments help minimize breakouts and prevent developing from severe cysts. Alongside acne, inflammation should also be controlled as it is the main cause of scarring. Control breakouts and you’ll control scarring.
- Don’t squeeze, pop or prick the pimple: popping or squeezing a pimple can increase the healing time, and can force the acne causing impurities deeper into the dermis, spreading the infection to other tissues and increasing inflammation.
- Don’t pick at scabs: scab is a result of skin’s healing process where new skin forms over damaged skin. Picking the scab off a wound results in a longer healing process and increases the chances of scarring.
- Expert consultation: in case of bigger breakouts which bring along pain and redness, it is advisable to consult a dermatologist. Off the counter products will not help these acne as they require specialized treatment based on their outlook. Quick expert treatment is a must.
- Quit harsh treatment: over washing or scrubbing during acne growth can irritate the skin as it damages the skin by reducing elasticity and heightens their appearance.
Acne Scars: Procedures and Methods
Prescription ingredients such as AHA, Salicylic Acid, Retinoids, Lactic Acid etc are proven to counter acne scars. These ingredients act as exfoliators of the outer layer of skin, thereby, detaching rough skin and clear discoloration.
In case the proven ingredients do not affect your acne scars, it is recommended to consult a dermatologist for cosmetic procedures that can help with your scars:
- Chemical Peeling
- Laser Resurfacing
- Micro- needling
Before getting any treatment for acne scars, you should first clear out active acne. New acne can induce new acne scars and inflammation, reducing the effectiveness of scar treatments.
SkinKraft recommends you with a daily regimen which is tailored for your skin type and addresses your skin concerns simultaneously.
Like what you read? Share this with your friends and spread the word on good skin!
That's all for now, lovelies!