Have you added exfoliation to your skincare routine yet? If not, you are likely missing out on a plethora of skin benefits it offers.
A healthy skincare routine consists of various steps, which include a facial scrub. Not just removing deep-set impurities, a facial scrub can get you glowing skin too.
Let's dig in to understand the benefits of using a facial scrub and how you can choose the best-suited one for your skin.
What Expert Says
“Coffee and sugar can be extremely beneficial as homemade face scrubs. They provide gentle exfoliation that clears the deep seated grimes from the pores.”
Abhisikta Hati, Senior Product Development Executive, SkinKraft
- What Is A Face Scrub?
- What Does A Face Scrub Do To Your Face?
- Steps To Use A Face Scrub
- What Are The Benefits Of Using A Face Scrub?
- How To Choose The Best Face Scrub For Your Skin Type?
- How To Make Homemade Facial Scrubs?
- Myths & Facts About Face Scrubs
- Treating Various Types Of Acne
- Face Wash Vs Face Scrub
- Can You Use Face Scrub Daily?
- What Should You Apply After Using A Face Scrub?
- Dos & Don’ts Of Face Scrub
What Is A Face Scrub?
A face scrub is a skincare product used to exfoliate your skin. It helps in the removal of dead skin cells from the surface of your skin, reducing the chances for clogged pores and acne breakouts. With the practice of scrubbing and exfoliation dating back to ancient times, history indicates that people used something abrasive to exfoliate their skin.
For example, the American Indians used dried corn cobs for skin exfoliation. Crushed sea shells were also a popular option. Nowadays, scrubs are made with ingredients like coffee grounds, sugar, finely ground sea salt, cinnamon, honey, oats etc.
What Does A Face Scrub Do To Your Face?
Facial scrubs contain coarse particles which help to exfoliate the skin. When you apply a face scrub, the particles rub against your skin and remove all the dirt from your skin pores. It also removes dead skin cells, making your skin smoother and softer. The addition of a good facial scrub in your weekly skincare routine will provide you with healthy and glowing skin.
Steps To Use A Face Scrub
Step 1: Rinse your face with water thoroughly. Do not pat it dry.
Step 2: Take a nickel - sized amount of facial scrub in your palm.
Step 3: Apply the facial scrub on your wet face.
Step 4: Gently rub the scrub on your face, applying the least amount of pressure. You can rub the scrub in a circular motion using your fingers.
Step 6: Continue the massage for 10 to 15 seconds.
Step 7: Now move to your neck and under the chin and massage for another 10 seconds.
Step 8: Once you finish exfoliating, wash your face with cold or lukewarm water.
Step 9: Gently pat your face dry using a soft towel.
Do not try to pull your skin or use too much pressure while scrubbing. It can hurt your skin.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Face Scrub?
1. Removes Dead Skin Cells
The first and foremost benefit of using a facial scrub is removing the dead skin cells from your face. Dead skin cells make your face look dry and dull. These also clog your skin pores. Facial scrubs exfoliate your skin thoroughly and remove the dead skin cells.
2. Unclogs Skin Pores
The body produces a natural oil called sebum to keep the skin moisturized. But sometimes the production becomes excessive and the extra sebum oil gets stored in your skin pores. Since the skin pores get clogged, it leads to acne breakouts. Exfoliation removes the sebum oil and unclogs the skin pores.
3. Removes Flakes
Many people notice dry patches on their skin. These dry skin patches are known as flakes. These are unhealthy and also make the skin look extremely dull. Exfoliating the face using a facial scrub will help you get rid of the flaky skin and make it smoother.
4. Reduces Acne Scars
Facial scrubs also contribute to reducing acne scars and dark patches of skin. While these aren’t removed completely, they do become lighter. A scrub promotes the natural skin resurfacing process. When you scrub your face, it removes the dead and damaged skin cells and allows the skin to rejuvenate. Dark patches and scars thereby become lighter in shade. Facial scrubs that have natural skin brightening ingredients are known to have better effects.
5. Prevents Ingrown Hair
Ingrown hair can be frustrating as it plays a key role in pimple outbreak. Facial scrubbing is one of the best ways to prevent ingrown hair from ruining your facial appearance. Choose a face scrub that has antiseptic properties to make your facial scrubbing safer and beneficial.
6. Provides Smoother Skin
Apart from the above, face scrubs also make your skin surface smooth and glowing. When your face appears smoother, softer and glowing, your self-esteem is naturally bound to increase.
7. Improves The Texture Of Skin
Facial skin is sensitive, thinner, and more prone to damage as compared to the skin on other parts of the body. Improper skincare, pollution, etc, can lead to rough, dull skin. Facial scrubs improve the texture of the skin by encouraging the skin renewal process.
8. Better Absorption Of Skincare Products
With the build-up of layers of dead skin cells, the skincare products that you use find it difficult to seep in which is why you might get your desired results. Exfoliating your face with a scrub can ensure that these products are properly absorbed and that they blend easily on your skin.
How To Choose The Best Face Scrub For Your Skin Type?
Choosing the right face scrub is of utmost importance. For best results, you should always choose a product that suits your unique skin type.
1. Oily Skin
People with oily skin mostly have pimple problems as the extra sebum oil clogs their skin pores. Therefore, you need a face scrub that will not only remove the dead skin cells but also have anti-pimple properties in it. Salicylic Acid is known for its anti-acne benefits. If you have oily skin, you should get a face wash that contains Salicylic Acid or similar anti-acne ingredients.
2. Dry Skin
Those with dry skin can use any face wash that has ingredients suited to remove dead skin cells. Glycolic acid is one such ingredient that removes dead skin cells and flakey skin easily. It is known to be a great exfoliant. Look for a face scrub that has glycolic acid and also provides some moisturizing benefits for your skin.
3. Sensitive Skin
People with sensitive skin should be more careful while choosing their skincare products. If you have sensitive skin, make sure that your face scrub is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. Propylene glycol has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Turmeric and yoghurt are natural ingredients that offer anti-inflammatory benefits. Sugar scrubs are considered good for sensitive skin. Sugar is a natural skin exfoliant and works great to remove dead skin cells.
4. Combination Skin
Since combination skin is a mix of dry and oily skin, it is a bit tough to choose a face scrub. But experts say that people with combination skin should use a face scrub that would clean the excess oil from the skin without drying it out.
How To Make Homemade Facial Scrubs?
1. Coffee Scrub
Caffeine in coffee improves blood circulation and adds radiance to your skin. The antioxidants in it protect your skin from UV damage and prevent loss of moisture.
- Take 3 teaspoons of coffee and ½ cup of yoghurt. Mix them well in a blender and keep the mixture aside for about 5 minutes.
- Once it becomes thick, add one teaspoon of honey to it and mix well.
- Scrub your face using this mix using circular motions for about 10 minutes.
- Wash off using cold water.
2. Lemon, Honey & Sugar Scrub
Lemon helps you clear acne, blackheads, and discoloration while honey moisturizes and heals inflamed skin.
- Mix a cup of sugar with ½ cup of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. Add lemon juice (from a big lemon) to it.
- Stir it for some time.
- Apply this on your face and scrub for a few minutes.
- Wash off using cold water.
Don't leave the scrub on for too long if you have dry skin. It might make your skin flaky.
3. Tomato & Yoghurt Scrub
Tomato removes tan from your skin while yoghurt acts as a natural bleach that lightens your skin tone.
- Take 2 teaspoons of tomato pulp and yoghurt each. Add a spoonful of lemon juice to it.
- Mix them well.
- Apply it all over your face and let it dry.
- Wash it off.
4. Oatmeal Scrub
Oatmeal works great in gently exfoliating your skin. Besides, it clears the pores of excess sebum and keeps your skin clean.
- Mix a tablespoon of whole milk and olive oil each.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oatmeal to it and let the oats soften.
- Add a few drops of rose water to it and mix well
- Apply this on your face and massage it gently for 2 minutes.
- Later, rinse using cold water.
5. Brown Sugar Scrub
Brown sugar is an effective ingredient for exfoliating your face. Its antibacterial properties and glycolic acid keeps your skin healthy and radiant.
- Take 2 tablespoons of honey and brown sugar each in a bowl.
- Mix well till it forms a thick paste.
- Massage your face gently with the mix and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash off using warm water. Massage your skin while doing so.
“Coffee and sugar can be extremely beneficial as homemade face scrubs. They provide gentle exfoliation that clears the deep seated grimes from the pores. Coffee brightens and evens out skin tone. Sugar, being a natural source of AHA, works as an exfoliator and improves the natural cell turnover rate and so skin appears more radiant,” says Abhisikta Hati, Senior Product Development Executive at SkinKraft.
Myths & Facts About Face Scrubs
Scrubbing damages your skin.
Scrubbing does not mean damaging your skin. Only if the scrub contains large and sharp grinding particles, it can cause tears in your skin. Applying extreme pressure while massaging the scrub can be harmful too.
Scrubs can erase acne scars
Scrub alone cannot remove your acne scar. Specifically designed acne-lightening creams are available for that purpose. Face scrubs can however help the scar to fade a little bit.
Scrubs can cure pimples.
The face scrub cannot treat your pimples. Rather if you scrub your face when you have pimples, it may irritate your skin and cause a burning sensation. Face scrub can however prevent pimples by removing the dead skin cells.
Tingling sensation during scrubbing is normal.
If your face scrub contains peppermint or menthol kind of ingredients, then a cooling sensation is normal. If not then the tingling simply means that the ingredients do not suit your skin.
Face Wash Vs Face Scrub
The primary difference between a face wash and a face scrub is the texture. A face wash has a creamy smooth texture, whereas a face scrub has grits in it. The purpose of using these two are also different. A face wash just cleans the dirt, dust and pathogens from your skin’s surface. However, a scrub cleans the skin pores as well. It removes the dead skin cells by exfoliating your skin.
Can You Use Face Scrub Daily?
No. You should not use a face scrub every day. Face scrubs are made for a weekly skincare routine. You can however use a face scrub twice a week.
What Should You Apply After Using A Face Scrub?
Apply a gentle moisturizer after using the face scrub. Make sure that your face is slightly damp when you apply the moisturizer. Damp skin helps the moisturizer to get deep into your skin and provide the maximum amount of benefits.
Dos & Don’ts Of Face Scrub
1. Never forget to wash your face before using a face scrub.
2. Focus on your face’s T-zone (forehead, nose, lips).
3. Make sure that you spend at least 40 seconds massaging your face.
4. If you have the time for a proper skincare routine, you can apply a face mask after a facial scrub.
5. Moisturize your skin with a hydrating moisturizer after scrubbing. It will help to replenish your ski.
6. Get a face scrub that suits your skin type.
1. Do not scrub your face everyday. Twice a week is more than enough.
2. Do not scrub your face for more than 40 to 45 seconds. Scrubbing for too long can cause skin irritation.
3. If you have open wounds or sore pimples on your face, avoid the face scrub.
4. Do not expose your skin to sunlight immediately after a face scrub. It will make your skin super sensitive.
5. Do not steam your face before scrubbing.
6. Avoid using physical scrubs, instead, choose gentle-to-use scrubs containing AHA's or BHA.
7. In case you have burns, wounds on your skin, avoid scrubbing. Let it heal completely.
Exfoliating your facial skin using a gentle scrub can be an effective way to take care of your skin. It helps to remove the dead skin cells and extra sebum from your face and give you smooth, soft skin. Follow the above-mentioned steps for a perfect exfoliation process using a face scrub. However, choose a product that suits your skin type and be gentle, in order to avoid microtears in your skin. Also keep in mind the dos & don’ts to avoid any side effects.
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.