Your lips define the aesthetics of your face. Don’t you agree? And every lip type has its own beauty. But, while the type of your lips is based on your genetics, you can enhance its features with the right care and make-up. In extreme cases, you can also get the shape of your lips changed surgically if you want them to look more attractive.
In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about caring for your lips - from the shades you should choose to highlight them, the ideal ways to hydrate them and medical options to change their shape. Read on!
7 Types Of Lips And How To Enhance Them
1. Heart-Shaped Lips
People with these lips have a prominent cupids bow. This means that their upper-lip has a pronounced dip in the middle. They may also have a heavier lower lip.
Makeup Tips For Heart-Shaped Lips
- Apply the same lip color on both your lips and enhance it from the center using a white pencil.
- You can also use a creamy nude eyeshadow to make it look fuller.
2. Top-Heavy Lips
These lips are heavier on the top and usually do not have a pronounced cupids bow. A lot of Indian women have this type of lips.
Makeup Tips For Top-Heavy Lips
- You can use a lip liner around the edge of your lips, following its natural shape. You can also try to line your lips using a brush and your lipstick.
- To make your upper lip appear slightly smaller, use a dark lip color on it and go a shade lighter on your lower lip to even out your lips.
- If you don’t want to apply different shades of lipsticks, you can use a white pencil to the center of your lower lip to balance out your lips.
- You can also extend the lining of your lower lip using a pencil. This will make your lips appear fuller and more even.
3. Full Lips
These kinds of lips are usually protruding and fuller on the bottom.
Makeup Tips For Full Lips
- In order to draw attention away from your lips, you can try nude colors that blend into your skin.
- Heavy eye makeup can also help distract people from noticing your protruding, full lips. However, they can be extremely attractive as well.
- Highlighting your cheeks can also be a distraction and will make your face appear more balanced.
4. Thin Lips
If both your upper and lower lips are thin, you likely fall under this category.
Makeup Tips For Thin Lips
- Line your lips using a lip pencil and fill in your lips with the same. Gently dab on it to smudge the color. Use a light color on your upper lip and a darker one on your lower lip to enhance your lip-shape.
- You can also try overlining your bottom lip to make it appear slightly bigger.
5. Wide Lips
If your lips extend to your ears when you smile, you have wide lips.
Makeup Tips For Wide Lips
- Overlining your lips can help make them appear bigger and even them out. This will eliminate its width.
- Overlining your lower lip can also add weight to your lips.
- Experimenting with a light or nude shade can also distract people from noticing your lips.
6. Small Lips
These lips are not wide, but tend to be full and protruding.
Makeup Tips For Small Lips
- Apply glossy lip formulas to make your lips appear fuller.
- Dark shades may make your lips appear smaller, so try avoiding them as far as possible.
- Soft shades usually do the trick for smaller lips.
- Light glossy pinks can make your lips appear thicker and more full.
7. Round Lips
These kinds of lips are prominently round and lack a cupid’s bow.
Makeup tips for round lips
- Dark shades may accentuate your other features over your lips.
- Glossy lipsticks may tone down the prominence of your lips, drawing attention to your features.
How To Take Care Of Your Lips?
1. Exfoliate Regularly
Just like your skin, your lips also accumulate dead skin cells that can make them appear dull and dry. To keep this at bay, use a lip balm every night before you sleep. Use your tooth brush to gently exfoliate the dry flakes off your lips in the morning.
Make sure you don’t brush too hard as it can damage your lips.
2. Avoid Makeup When Indoors
Lipsticks tend to dry out your lips. Avoid applying lipsticks when it is not required. Use a primer or balm before applying a lipstick to prevent them from getting chapped.
3. Stay Hydrated
Not drinking enough water can cause your lips to feel dry and irritated. Just like your skin, your lips also need hydration. Experts recommend that you drink at least 2-3 liters of water everyday.
4. Use Vitamin E On Your Lips
Vitamin E is essential for healthy skin and lips. It helps generate new skin cells, while enhancing your blood circulation. You can use Vitamin E capsules by cutting them open and rubbing it onto your lips.
5. Avoid Licking Your Lips
Licking your lips can contribute to discoloration. If you feel your lips are getting dry, use a lip balm to keep them hydrated. Your saliva can leave your lips feeling even drier as it contains enzymes that may be too harsh on them.
6. Avoid Staying In The Sun For Too Long
UV rays can dehydrate your lips, causing them to get chapped and feel extra dry. Use a lip balm that contains SPF to prevent UV-induced damage.
Did You Know?
- A study conducted on 299 people using sunscreen on their skin showed that only 37 percent of them used a lip balm that contained SPF (1).
How Can I Change My Lip Shape?
Makeup, if used correctly, can do wonders to accentuate or change how your features appear. If you want to change your lip shape, you can experiment with various shades and colors of lipstick. Refer to the makeup tips mentioned above in order to find out the right makeup choices for your lip type.
2. Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Lip Fillers
This is a temporary filler that lasts for about 6 months. These fillers are designed to give you more pronounced lips. They are used to get rid of wrinkles and give you fuller lips.
HA lip fillers have a gel-like texture and are very smooth. The final result usually shows up a few days after you get injected. Hyaluronic acid lip fillers are most popular as they can be erased easily and cause minimal bruising. (2)
3. Collagen Lip Fillers
Collagen lip fillers may need you to visit the cosmetologist a few times. Collagen lip injections used to be popular before the Hyaluronic ones came out. Collagen is a protein that is naturally present in the skin. Replenishing your lips with collagen fillers smoothens out its depressions and may also make it appear fuller.
4. Silicon Lip Filler
These lip fillers are permanent lip fillers, but can be removed easily. They are usually cheaper than temporary lip fillers. They are also pre-made.
5. Lip exercises
Yes! Lip yoga is a thing. There are a number of jaw exercises and pouting techniques that you can try in order to get those full, attractive lips.
Though your lip shape is genetically determined, you can alter or enhance its shape and look with the right makeup, care and surgical fillers. Prominent lips may need darker shades, while the thinner ones may need lighter ones in order to make the face appear more balanced. In order to take care of your lips, keep them hydrated at all times using a lip balm and by consuming enough water. You can also use Vitamin E or rub-on some olive oil to keep them moisturized.
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.