You must have relished the sweet and tangy fruit of plum. This juicy, vitamin-rich fruit has multiple health benefits- it helps to manage blood pressure, blood sugar levels relieves constipation, reduces anxiety and promotes heart health. But did you know that plums are great for your skin too?
You can include plum in your diet or use skin care products with plum extract for healthy, glowing skin. Curious to know how it works? Read this article to know more.
Why Are Plums Good For Your Skin?
Plums are enriched with healthy nutrients and are a rich source of fiber as well. Many of these nutrients are skin friendly. They help you to deal with issues such as sunburn, premature signs of aging as well aim at reducing pimples and other forms of acne.
The polyphenols and other phytochemicals present in plums make them rich in antioxidants and render their protective properties . Flavonoids and phenolic acids present in plums help to fight off signs of aging . The phenolic compounds along with anthocyanins and carotenoids scavenges the free radicals in your skin and may offer you protection from certain forms of cancers.
Beside being excellent antioxidants, plum-extract has potent antibacterial properties as well. Plums are the richest source of ellagic acid which are not only antimicrobial but anti-inflammatory as well.
Plums are also rich in vitamin A, C, E, K and minerals like calcium, magnesium, zinc and iron. It is therefore no wonder that plums can give you great looking skin in more than one ways.
How Do Plums Benefit Your Skin?
The benefits of plums for your skin are numerous. Here we list a few skin benefits of plums that are most significant.
1. Improves your complexion
Plums are rich in vitamin C which helps to brighten your complexion, reduces dark spots and freckles, and helps you achieve an even skin tone. Plums also help improve blood circulation in your skin which helps to lighten scars or age spots.
How to use:
- Mash 2-3 ripe plums and make a sufficient amount of pack to cover your face and neck.
- Apply this pack on your face and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
2. Reduces signs of aging
Vitamin C, E, beta carotene along with other antioxidants present in plum helps to ward off the fine lines and wrinkles that make you look more mature than your age. While the antioxidants protect your skin from oxidative damage, the anti-inflammatory properties of these fruits reduce inflammation. Plums also boosts collagen production which helps to promote skin elasticity.
How to use:
- Mix the pulp of plums with rose water to prepare a face mask.
- Apply this soothing mask all over your face and neck.
- Leave it for around 20 minutes and wash with warm water.
3. Protects from sun damage
The UV rays of the sun can cause damage to your skin when you are exposed to the sun rays for prolonged duration. The antioxidants present in plum along with vitamin C and E not only protects your skin from sun damage but can reverse the signs of damage as well. You can use this pack mentioned below to get rid of sun tan as well as protection from the harmful effects of sun rays.
How to use:
- Make an extract by boiling a handful of plums in water.
- Add a spoonful of yogurt to this extract.
- Apply this extract to the sun burnt areas and allow it to sit for a couple of minutes.
- Once it is a little dry, wash it off with cold water.
Eating a few plums everyday can also protect your skin from the harmful effects of the sun. Kakadu plums with their high vitamin C content are the best variety to fight against sun damage.
3. Alleviates acne
Due to their antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, plums are very helpful in fighting off acne. They also help to remove the excess oil from your skin. Be it pimples, blackheads or cysts, a plum mask can take care of it all. Also due to their vitamin A content, plums can help to reduce acne scars as well.
How to use:
- Take sufficient amount of plums and mash the pulp.
- Mix the pulp with fresh cucumber juice.
- Apply this mix on your face or other areas with acne.
- Let it sit for a few minutes before washing it off with water.
4. Reduces under-eye bags
If your under-eye region gets puffy and dull, plums can come to your rescue. Plums improve circulation, reduce puffiness and minimize the appearance of dark circles in the region around your eye. The vitamin C present in plums rejuvenates and brightens up your under-eye region.
How to use:
- Cut plums into thin slices. Use Loquat plums if you can find them as they are very rich in vitamin C.
- Put the plum slices on the region around the eyes and let them sit for around 15 minutes.
- Wash with cold water and follow up with a suitable moisturizer.
5. Revives your skin
Being rich in so many phytochemicals and vitamins, it's no wonder that regular intake of plums can add new life to your skin. The vitamin C in plums boosts collagen production and gives you an even skin texture which makes your skin look firm and glowing. Plums can also help you keep infections and acne at bay.
How to use:
- You can either consume fresh plums whole or make plum juice out of them to get all the skin friendly nutrients present in them.
Did You Know?
The cold pressed essential oil obtained from the kernel or seeds of plum has way more antioxidants than argan oil or marula oil. The omega fatty acids along with vitamin E and vitamin A are what make the plum kernel oil so good for your skin. You can use it to moisturize your dry lips and heal your skin of hyperpigmentation, irritation, puffiness or dehydration.
How Many Plums Can You Eat A Day?
An adult can eat 4 to 6 fresh plums in a day depending on how big the fruits are. Children however should eat only 2 to 3 plums a day. You should avoid eating too many plums at one go. Since it is rich in organic acids, excessive consumption of plums can cause diarrhea or other gastrointestinal disorders.
What Happens To Your Body When You Eat Plums Everyday?
As mentioned before, plums are a storehouse of nutrients and have numerous health benefits. The antioxidants present in plums protect you from several diseases including certain cancers. The vitamins and minerals present in this fruit neutralizes toxins, improves blood circulation and keeps your heart healthy.
The fiber present in plum is great for your gut. So be it in salads or as breakfast spreads you should add plums to your daily menu if you want a healthy body and a glowing skin.
What Are The Best Alternatives For Plums
If fresh plums are not available to you can use prunes instead which are dried plums. Prunes have almost the same nutritional profile as plums. In case even prunes are not available to you, nectarines will be the closest alternatives to plums. You can also use other stone fruits of the Rosaceae family such as peaches or apricots in place of plums.
Plums with their healthy nutrients can rejuvenate your skin. You can either use them topically in your skin. Alternatively you can consume plums fresh or in different recipes. But keep your daily consumption of plums moderate to avoid any undesirable side effects.
1. Nutritional benefits of European plums(Prunus domestica L.)
2. Bioactive Food Components and their Chronic Diseases Prevention Effects. (2020).
3. Health benefits of peach, nectarine and plums. (2009).
4. Evaluation of nutritional, phytochemical, antioxidant and antibacterial activity of dried plum (Prunus domestica). (2014).
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.