Have you ever noticed hair falling out after styling it with hair wax? If yes, there is a possibility that your hair wax is leading to hair loss. Hair wax is a useful product to style your hair and give it an attractive look. But often, hair styling products are associated with hair loss.
That’s why you need to know if hair wax is causing any harm to your hair and what can be done to prevent it. In this article, we will discuss what causes hair wax related hair loss and how you can control it.
What Is Hair Wax? Can It Cause Hair Loss?
Hair wax is a hair styling product that is used to give your hair a smooth and shiny appearance. It also makes it easier to give your hair a new shape without any hassle. But hair wax or any other hair styling products such as pomade or hair gel are always linked with hair problems, one of which is hair loss.
In order to preserve the hair wax formula for a long time, the manufacturers use high-quantity alcohol. Alcohol is known to harm both your scalp and hair. It strips down the natural oil from your skin and makes it dehydrated. Your hair starts feeling dry and dull. In some cases, alcohol may irritate the skin of your scalp and cause itching. Gradually, your hair starts falling out due to dryness and irritation.
Besides, products like hair wax are dense. The density is given to hold the shape of your hair longer but when you apply it to your scalp, it does not let your hair follicles breathe. Suffocating hair follicles leads to hair loss.
Side Effects Of Hair Wax
1. Hair Loss
Hair wax contains a high amount of alcohol which dries out your scalp and makes your hair dry. Dehydrated hair is breakage-prone. Also, the dense hair wax blocks the hair follicles making it difficult for them to breathe. Naturally, the hair follicles stop functioning properly, thereby leading to hair loss.
2. Dehydrated Hair
Hair wax contains ingredients like alcohol, silicone, sulphate etc. All of them are highly responsible for making your hair dehydrated and brittle. Regular usage of hair wax to style your hair can cause rough and dull hair.
3. Hair Discolouration
Using hair wax regularly can lead to hair discolouration. Hair wax extracts the moisture from your hair and makes major changes in your pH balance. It leads to a dehydrated and unhealthy scalp. As a result, you may notice an increased amount of grey hair.
A dehydrated scalp is home for dandruff. When your scalp gets extremely dry because of hair wax, the skin becomes flaky and starts shedding. It is the most common problem people face after using hair styling products like hair wax and hair gel.
Precautionary Tips To Prevent Hair Loss Due To Hair Wax
1. Limit The Usage:
Since hair wax majorly dehydrates your scalp and hair, it is better to limit the usage to your hair only. Do not apply the product to your scalp. Using hair wax directly on your scalp clothes the hair follicles and does not allow them to breathe. It interrupts hair growth.
2. Check Ingredients:
Avoid hair wax that has ingredients like isopropyl alcohol, propylene glycol, polyethylene glycol etc. These ingredients are known to dehydrate your scalp when used in a hair styling product.
3. Take A Break:
Take breaks from applying hair wax. Regular usage of hair wax can severely damage your hair. Use hair wax to style your hair on occasions or when necessary.
4. Choose Hairstyles Wisely:
Avoid hairstyles that pull back your hair tightly. Pull-back hairstyles are straining and put a lot of pressure on your scalp and hair follicles.
5. Buy Quality Products:
Do not buy any cheap and unknown brand when it comes to your hair. Try to go for a well-known authentic brand when you buy hair wax. It will assure you good quality.
6. Do Not Leave Hair Wax Overnight:
Leaving hair wax overnight is not recommended. Always wash your hair with a sulphate free shampoo before hitting the bed. Keeping the hair wax on your hair overnight can multiply the damages. At night, the hair wax will mix with sebum oil and sweat that your scalp produces. Your skin becomes flaky, thereby causing dandruff.
How To Treat Hair Loss Caused By Hair Wax?
1. If your hair loss is due to the hair wax you are using, the first step should be to put an end to the usage. Stop using the product that is causing hair loss.
2. Minimize the use of heating tools to set your hair. If your hair loss is severe, completely avoid styling it.
3. Use a sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner for your hair. Make sure your shampoo has hydrating elements. Look for a product that suits your hair type. Choose ingredients that nourish your hair such as coconut oil, sodium PCA, lavender oil, glycerin etc.
4. Deep conditioning once a week using a moisturizing hair mask will fulfil the lack of moisturization in your hair. It will help reduce hair loss. Honey, avocado, coconut oil, and aloe vera are the deep conditioning ingredients you should look for in your hair mask.
5. You can take supplements like biotin, vitamin D, ginseng, folic acid. All of these promote healthy hair growth.
6. If basic hair care does not help with your hair loss, you will need professional help. Your doctor may suggest medicines like minoxidil. This is a topical ingredient approved by the Food And Drug Administration for hair growth. It is known for treating male pattern baldness.
Which Hair Wax Is Not Harmful?
A good hair wax contains ingredients that are not harmful to your scalp and hair. One such ingredient is long-chain alcohol or fatty alcohol. Cetearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol are known for providing moisturizing benefits to your hair and often suggested by hair experts. You can also opt for an alcohol-free hair wax for styling your hair.
Next, look for a hair wax that contains natural oil and natural ingredients like apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed extracts, sunflower wax, etc. Also, sulphate and paraben-free hair waxes are highly recommended.
How Do You Wash Hair Wax Out Of Your Hair?
1. Use a little warm water to wet your hair first.
2. Once your hair is wet enough to wash, apply a tiny amount of moisturizing conditioner to your hair.
3. Massage the conditioner through your hair strands and leave it for 2 minutes. The conditioner will help you remove the hair wax easily.
4. Rinse off the conditioner thoroughly.
5. Apply a cleansing shampoo to your scalp and massage gently.
6. When done shampooing, clean it off properly.
Styling your hair using various products sounds promising, but it has a negative effect as well. Most styling products like hair wax are made with corrosive chemicals that make your scalp and hair dehydrated, dull and brittle. Damaged hair is more likely to be breakage-prone and that increases the risk of hair loss.
Therefore, the only solution to avoid unwanted hair loss is to keep your hair wax usage under check and follow all the precautions mentioned above. Furthermore, if your hair loss problem keeps increasing rapidly, consult a medical professional to seek immediate help.
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.