Did you know that glycerin can solve a host of your skin problems? Yes! It is one of the most widely used ingredients in the skincare industry for a reason.
Dr. Kaustav Guha, head of R&D and lead scientist at SkinKraft Laboratories, says, “Glycerin is a highly effective humectant that keeps your skin hydrated for a long duration. It is non-comedogenic, non-allergenic, affordable and naturally derived from mostly plant sources. Thus, you will find it in products formulated for babies, aged, dry, oily as well as sensitive skin.”
Read on to find out about all its benefits, how you should use glycerin on your face, and the precautions you need to take.
What Is Glycerin?
Glycerin is a non-toxic, odorless and colorless alcoholic liquid usually found in animal fats and vegetable oils. A natural humectant or a skin-conditioner, glycerin keeps your skin hydrated, soft and supple. It also protects your skin from harmful environmental aggressors, while improving its texture.
Glycerin also treats several skin disorders, ranging from dry skin to wound healing. The ingredient has the potential of improving your overall internal health as well.
Benefits Of Using Glycerin On Face
1. Moisturizes Skin
2. Protects And Heals
Glycerin protects the skin against irritants and external pollutants. It also helps in healing of wounds. (3)
3. Anti-Aging Properties
4. Can Treat Eczema And Atopic Dermatitis
Glycerin’s moisturizing and hydrating properties help soothe dry skin. Research indicates that creams containing glycerin can treat eczema and atopic dermatitis. (5)
5. Repairs Skin Barrier
Can You Apply Glycerin Directly On Your Face?
According to scientific research, glycerin is absolutely safe to use on the face. It is widely used in several facial creams and cleansers. However, glycerin easily attracts and absorbs moisture, dust and pollution, which can cause irritation to some people. Thus, you should ideally dilute raw glycerin in water or rose water before applying it on your face.
Always remember to conduct a patch test and talk to your dermatologist before using any new product on your face.
How To Apply Glycerin To Your Face?
As a face wash
Glycerin removes dirt and pollution accumulated on your skin. It works as an excellent makeup remover too.
- Rinse your face with water.
- Take a little bit of glycerin on a cotton ball and dab it all over your face.
- Avoid contact with eyes and mouth.
- Allow it to absorb into the skin. Wash it off after a few minutes.
As a toner
Glycerin tightens your pores. Using it as a toner can work wonders for your skin. However, make sure you don’t use too much of it.
- Add a few drops of glycerin to half a cup of rose water.
- Gently dab it onto your skin before applying your moisturizer.
As a moisturizer
Glycerin works as an excellent natural moisturizer for your skin, when diluted with water and other ingredients.
- Wash your face thoroughly with a mild cleanser.
- Apply your glycerin-based moisturizer gently on all areas of your face.
- Ensure that you don’t let it enter your eyes.
- You can also make a DIY moisturizer by mixing glycerin with almond oil and 2 drops of any essential oil.
As a lip balm
Glycerin is gentler and more moisturizing than any chemical-based lip balms.
- Mix glycerin with shea butter, cocoa butter or coconut oil.
- Apply it on your lips after cleansing it.
- Leave it overnight.
Precautions And Tips Of Using Glycerin On Your Skin
- Although glycerin is gentle on the skin, it is advised to conduct a patch test before applying it to your face. Dilute glycerin in rose water and apply the mixture to the back of your hand. Wait for 24 hours. If your skin doesn’t experience any allergic reactions, it’s safe to be applied onto your face.
- If you have sensitive skin, make sure to not use glycerin directly on your skin. Always dilute it.
- Glycerin can cause sun sensitivity. It is advised for you to use glycerin at night before sleeping. If you do use it during the day, apply sunscreen before you step out.
Can You Leave Glycerin Overnight On Your Face?
Glycerin is a humectant. It attracts moisture from the environment and the inner layers of your skin. Using it overnight for months together can also dry up the inner layers of your skin and eventually result in skin aging.
Leaving it on for 15-20 minutes and washing it off before going to bed is the best option. However, if you are leaving it on overnight, make sure it is diluted properly.
Does Glycerin Have Any Side Effects On Skin?
Several research studies have proved glycerin to be a safe ingredient for all skin types. However, it can cause allergic reactions, if not diluted well. Too much glycerin can lead to excess hydration in oily skin and water-loss in dry skin. So, use it with caution. (6)
Glycerin is a gentle ingredient used in most cosmetics, including baby products. It is used to treat many skin issues and is known for its hydrating and moisturizing properties. But, it is always advisable to conduct a patch test before you apply it on your face. Your skin type plays a major role in determining how your skin will react to a particular ingredient.
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.