The skincare industry swears by glycerin! Do you want to know why this ingredient is used in tons of skincare products? Read on to find out about all its benefits and the precautions to be taken when using glycerin on your face.
1. What Is Glycerin?
Glycerin is a colorless, odorless liquid that is usually found in animal fat and vegetable oils. A natural humectant, glycerin makes your skin soft and supple. It can also improve the texture of your skin.
The ingredient has the potential of improving your overall internal health as well as treating skin disorders, ranging from dry skin to wound healing.
2. Benefits Of Glycerin
Promotes Skin Health
Glycerin protects the skin against irritants and helps in wound healing. (3)
Glycerin has moisturizing properties that help maintain smooth skin. This can slow down the aging process and keep your skin firm. (4)
Can Treat Eczema And Atopic Dermatitis
Glycerin is useful in soothing dry skin. Research indicates that creams containing glycerin can treat eczema and atopic dermatitis. (5)
3. Can You Apply Glycerin Directly On Your Face?
Before using glycerin directly on your skin, talk to your dermatologist. Glycerin attracts dust and pollution from the environment. You should ideally dilute glycerin in water or rose water. Remember to conduct a patch test before using the product on your face.
4. How To Apply Glycerin On Your Face?
As A Face Wash
- Rinse your face with water and pat dry.
- Take a little bit of glycerin on a cotton ball and dab it all over your face.
- Avoid contact with eyes and mouth.
- Allow it to absorb into the skin. Wash it off after a few minutes.
As A Toner
Glycerin tightens your pores. Using it as a toner can work wonders for your skin. Make sure you don’t use too much of it.
Add a few drops of glycerin to half a cup of rose water. Gently dab it onto your skin.
As A Cleanser
Glycerin removes the dirt and pollution accumulated on your skin. It works as a makeup remover too.
5. Precautions And Tips
- Although glycerin is gentle on the skin, it is advised to conduct a patch test before applying it to your face. Dilute glycerin in rose water and apply the mixture to the back of your hand. Wait for 24 hours. If your skin doesn’t experience any allergic reactions, it’s safe to be applied onto your face.
- If you have sensitive skin, make sure to not use glycerin directly on your skin.
- Glycerin can cause sun sensitivity. It is advised for you to use glycerin at night before sleeping. If you do use it in the day, apply sunscreen before you step out.
6. Can You Leave Glycerin Overnight On Your Face?
Glycerin is a humectant. It attracts moisture from the environment and the inner layers of your skin. Leaving it overnight can over-hydrate your skin and lead to breakouts. Using it overnight for months together can also dry up the inner layers of your skin and eventually result in skin aging.
Leaving it on for 15-20 minutes and washing it off before going to bed is the best option. However, if you still want to leave it on overnight, make sure it is diluted properly.
7. Why Is Glycerin Used In Skincare Products?
Glycerin is a widely used ingredient in skincare products. It is a natural humectant that draws moisture from the air and traps it in the skin. Due to its hydrating properties and safety, skin care brands use glycerin in a lot of their products.
Glycerin is safe to use and is mainly used in moisturizers for most skin types. It is used to treat a host of skin issues, but it is always advisable to conduct a patch test before you apply it to your face.
Too much glycerin can lead to excess hydration and oily skin. It can also eventually lead to water-loss. So use it with caution.
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.