Do you want to get a hair botox, but have second thoughts due to safety concerns? Well, in that case, you need solid information about the procedure to help you figure out what to do.
Hair botox sounds similar to the general botox treatment. That is why most people get confused and often build up a negative image about it.
This article will help you clear all the misconceptions and provide a better understanding of what to expect from a hair botox.
- What Is Hair Botox? Is It Safe?
- How Does Hair Botox Work?
- How To Use Hair Botox?
- What Are The Benefits Of Hair Botox?
- Who Can Get Hair Botox Done?
- How To Take Care Of Your Hair After Hair Botox?
- What Are The Disadvantages Of Hair Botox?
- How Long Does Hair Botox Treatment Last?
- Is Hair Botox Better Than Keratin?
What Is Hair Botox? Is It Safe?
Most of you are familiar with botox as a skin treatment to remove wrinkles and fine lines. Botox is an injection that contains botulinum toxin that is used to smooth the wrinkles of your skin.
However, hair botox is different and has nothing to do with the botox ingredient botulinum toxin.
In fact, the term is only used to describe similar functionality. Just like skin botox boosts the elasticity of your skin, hair botox does the same. The treatment fills your hair with the fibres hair should naturally have, to add up some volume and smoothness. 
Hair botox is considered to be a safe and effective hair treatment worldwide. But that does not guarantee a procedure that’s completely free of side-effects. Since it is also a chemical-based treatment, your scalp may feel irritation and discomfort during or after the procedure. But neither of these should be there for a long time.
There is another type of botox for hair that needs to be injected into your scalp. It has certain side-effects. Therefore, injecting botox into the scalp is an off-the-table procedure and disapproved by the United States Food And Drugs Administration.
How Does Hair Botox Work?
Hair botox is technically a topical filler that adds essential fibers to your hair for deep conditioning. In simple words, the fillers fill in the broken parts of your hair strands to make them look fuller, shinier and smoother.
Hair botox has multiple ingredients, but it mostly depends on the brand, and the ingredients they use for their product. Usually, botox for hair contains vitamins and essential oils. The most commonly used compounds are caviar oil, BONT-L peptide, vitamin B-5, E vitamins, collagen complex etc.
How To Use Hair Botox?
Using hair botox would need a professional for perfect application. As mentioned before, for hair botox you don’t need to inject anything on your scalp. The safe procedure of hair botox is topical application. All you need to do is contact a professional or get the product at your home to do it on your own.
The procedure starts with shampooing your hair. Washing your hair using a gentle shampoo will open up your hair cuticles and prepare them for the botox application. Towel-dry your hair after washing.
The conditioning agent, as in the botox application, is the second step. Massage the botox on your hair strands from root to tip. Do not leave any hair strands. Make sure all of your hair is fairly covered.
Let the product sit on your hair for at least 20 to 90 minutes.
Rinse your hair with water thoroughly using a sulphate-free cleanser. Ensure that no amount of botox is left on your hair.
Blow dry your hair after the wash.
Straighten your hair using a straightener.
Follow the 1st to 3rd steps as instructed. But do not rinse your hair after it. Dry out your hair without rinsing the botox. Straighten your hair strands afterwards.
What Are The Benefits Of Hair Botox?
1. Hair botox gives your hair extra volume.
2. It helps to repair the broken and damaged hair strands.
3. Hair botox makes your hair smooth and shiny.
4. It treats the frizziness of your hair.
5. If you have split-ends, botox can help.
6. People who sweat a lot tend to have stringy hair. Botox will reduce it.
7. Hair damage due to colour can also be addressed by botox.
8. It helps repair dehydrated hair.
9. Injecting botox (scalp botox) helps to control hair loss in men who have androgenetic alopecia.
Who Can Get Hair Botox Done?
1. People with split-ends in hair.
2. Anyone who is lacking volume in their hair.
3. People with frizzy and damaged hair.
4. Those who want to control messy and curly hair.
5. People who want to get their hair straightened.
6. If you have damaged hair after getting a hair colour, you can go for hair botox.
How To Take Care Of Your Hair After Hair Botox?
1. Experts suggest that after a hair botox, you should refrain from washing your hair for a minimum of 2 days. It helps your hair strands to absorb the product completely.
2. Your hair products should be sulphate free, paraben-free and silicone-free. Use mild shampoo or hair cleanser after the botox treatments.
3. Add a hair mask to your weekly hair care routine. At the minimum, use a hair mask once a week. Choose a hair repairing mask after the procedure.
4. Minimize the use of heating tools on your hair such as straightener, blow-dry, curler etc. Even if you are using a heating tool, apply a heat-protection serum or spray properly on your hair.
5. When going out in the scorching heat, cover your hair with a soft scarf.
6. Repeat the botox at least thrice a year. It will help you maintain a fuller hair structure.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Hair Botox?
Haircare professionals highly suggest that hair botox should not be done more than thrice a year. Using it at a frequency higher than that, can damage your hair follicles and lead to hair thinning. Furthermore, it can strip off the moisture from your hair strands, making them dull and dry.
Also, there is no guarantee that botox will work for everyone. In many cases, it has not shown the desired result. So, it can be a complete waste of time and money. Prepare yourself for this mentally, before you put your hard-earned money into the treatment.
How Long Does Hair Botox Treatment Last?
Hair botox is the talk of the town these days. At-home hair botox’s result differs from person to person, depending on the quality of product being used. The quality also determines how long the treatment will last. Many have obtained a pretty good result which lasted long, while few were disappointed with the outcome.
Therefore, it is recommended to visit a trusted hairstylist who can help you with a good hair botox product as well as great service. If you use a quality product and follow the step by step procedure, the hair botox should last for 2 to 4 months at the minimum.
Is Hair Botox Better Than Keratin?
Hair botox is basically a harmless way to deep condition your hair. It nourishes your hair, adds volume to it and also gives a bouncy effect. Hair botox is safe for your hair unless you’re repeating the procedure more than three to four times a year. It is a costly yet effective procedure.
Keratin hair treatment or Brazilian blowout on the other hand, is a procedure that uses a product containing formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a chemical that maintains the straight structure of your hair and provides long-lasting results. But formaldehyde is considered to be a carcinogen and that raises some concerns about safety. Keratin treatment is however cheaper.
Both treatments have their pros and cons. But as far as safety is concerned, hair botox stands a better chance.
Hair botox is making a lot of buzz off late and all for good reasons. It can deal with your dehydrated locks, split-ends and frizziness. Most importantly, hair botox will give your hair the volume you have been dreaming of, for a long time. Even though the procedure is expensive and requires proper aftercare, it is worth a try. However, opt for a quality product and professional for best results.
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.