Is your hair dry, frizzy or brittle and breaks easily? If even oiling doesn't help, you may need to try a hot oil treatment to nourish your hair deeply.
Hot oil treatments are ideal for nourishing hair that is damaged, curly, and on the dry side. They can intensely moisturize your hair while making it strong and healthy. You can also try different oils to find one that works best for you. Read on to learn more.
- What Does Hot Oil Do To Your Hair?
- How To Do A Hot Oil Treatment?
- What Should You Do After A Hot Oil Treatment?
- Which Oil Is Best For Hot Oil Treatment For Hair?
- How Often Should You Do A Hot Oil Treatment On Your Hair?
- What Are The Benefits Of A Hot Oil Treatment?
- Can Hot Oil Damage Your Hair?
- Do You Put Hot Oil On Wet Or Dry Hair?
What Does Hot Oil Do To Your Hair?
A hot oil treatment helps to nourish dry, frizzy, and chemically damaged hair, which breaks easily or has split ends.
When applied, the hot oil seals the hair cuticle, thereby moisturizing it, and making it stronger, so there is less breakage.
How To Do A Hot Oil Treatment?
A hot oil treatment can be done easily at home. First, choose an oil such as coconut, olive, almond, lavender, jojoba, argan, or avocado oil. Next, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. As a hot oil treatment works best on clean hair, ensure you wash your hair properly. Clean hair enables the oil to be absorbed better into the hair cuticle.
2. Heat the oil of your preference until it is warm enough to put your finger in comfortably without it scalding you. Take about 5-6 tablespoons or more depending on the length of your hair.
3. Make sure your hair is semi-dry before you begin.
4. Comb out all the knots from your hair.
5. Take some oil in your palm and apply it to the strands of your hair. Gently massage your scalp all over to stimulate blood circulation.
What Should You Do After A Hot Oil Treatment?
After you have applied the oil and massaged your scalp, place a shower cap on your hair and leave it covered for 15-20 minutes. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and follow with a conditioner.
Which Oil Is Best For Hot Oil Treatment For Hair?
If your hair is very dry or extremely curly, coconut oil is ideal owing to its intensive moisturizing properties. It is also more easily absorbed deep into the hair shaft.
If your hair is oily or tends to get greasy faster, you can opt for an oil that has less fat in it. Almond, olive, or jojoba oil can be absorbed quickly by the hair shaft, which minimizes the residue of the oil on your scalp or hair.
You can also use avocado oil  for hot oil treatment. It contains minerals, antioxidants, biotin, fatty acids, and vitamins B5, A, and E. According to research, avocado oil has minerals that seal the hair’s cuticle and provide them with moisture, thereby preventing breakage.
How Often Should You Do A Hot Oil Treatment On Your Hair?
No matter what kind of hair you have, a hot oil treatment should be done at least once a week. If your hair is severely damaged, color-treated, or very dry, you may want to repeat it every four days.
What Are The Benefits Of A Hot Oil Treatment?
- Hydrated scalp and hair
- Fewer split ends
- Increased hair strength
- Improved hair elasticity
- Reduced frizz
- Relief from dandruff
- Increased circulation in the scalp
- Healthy hair growth
Can Hot Oil Damage Your Hair?
If you have sensitive skin or your scalp's skin reacts to the oil, then yes, it can damage your hair. This can happen if you use an oil that is perhaps blended with chemicals or synthetic ingredients.
Before giving yourself a hot oil treatment, you can do a patch test by applying a few oil drops to the skin on your elbow. If your skin doesn't have a rash or itch, it can be considered safe. Always ensure that the oil is not too hot.
Did You Know?
- Dry hair tends to break more because it can’t stretch easily. When you moisturize your hair properly, it becomes more elastic and doesn’t break when pulled.
- If your hair is highly porous, it can’t retain moisture, which gives it a frizzy look.
- Avocado oil can help moisturize, repair, and strengthen the hair as it helps unclog blocked follicles.
- You can mix equal quantities of extra virgin coconut oil and avocado oil and use it for hot oil treatment.
- Mix half an avocado, half a banana, and one spoon of honey to some avocado and coconut oil to create a deep conditioning hair mask.
Do You Put Hot Oil On Wet Or Dry Hair?
You should typically apply hot oil to semi-dry or damp hair. Freshly washed hair is ideal as it helps improve the absorption of the oil.
If you want to keep your natural hair looking soft, shiny, and healthy, hot oil treatments can work effectively in keeping your hair looking and feeling its best. They can also help you minimize routine damage that comes with styling and coloring your hair.
SkinKraft offers a customized hair care regimen based on your hair's unique type and characteristics.
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.