Do you want to make your facial skin glowing and healthy while you sleep? An overnight face mask can work wonders on your face as you snooze away happily!
But it is important to choose the right overnight mask that suits your skin and its needs. So if you are planning on adding this essential element to your night-time skin-care routine, read this article to know all about using an overnight face mask and how to do it right.
What Is An Overnight Mask?
An overnight mask is essentially a facial mask that you put on before getting into bed and calling it a day! Unlike other facial masks which need to be removed in a couple of minutes, overnight masks can be left on for the whole night, without creating a mess on your pillow or making your skin tight.
Overnight masks are loaded with moisturisers and other active ingredients that hydrate and heal your precious facial skin, while all you need to do is have a relaxing sleep. The active ingredients in the masks get sufficient time to seep into your skin, thus ensuring you wake up to a supple and glowing face every morning.
What Does An Overnight Face Mask Do?
An overnight mask or sleeping mask can serve multiple purposes depending on which overnight mask you are using. Primarily this mask works as a hydrating agent and a protective barrier on your skin which not only locks in the moisture but also protects your face from dust or allergens. Besides, all the goodness from the mask gets absorbed into your skin.
Your skin heals and rejuvenates during sleep. An overnight mask facilitates these processes by providing hydration and active ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, ceramides, etc. which increases the cell turnover in your skin, making it firm and supple.
Hydration and prolonged exposure helps to slowly absorb the active ingredients into your skin without clogging the pores. This eliminates the need of lathering a lot of other skin care products onto your skin for the desired results. So with this mask alone you can wake to a bright and fresh face every morning.
How To Use An Overnight Mask?
Do the following steps to get the maximum benefit from your overnight mask.
- Wash your face with a facial cleanser to ensure there is no dirt, oil or make-up residues on your face before applying the overnight mask. This is an extremely important step because if there are impurities left on your skin while you are using the overnight mask, the effect can be quite the opposite from what you want.
- Pat your skin dry using a clean, soft cloth. Apply an eye cream to the area surrounding your eyes. This is also the right time to put on the toners, face mist or essences if need be.
- The final step is to put on your overnight mask just before you get into bed. Apply the mask onto your face avoiding the delicate areas around the eyes and lips.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water after removing the mask in the morning.
How To Choose The Best Overnight Masks For Your Skin Type?
There are a range of overnight face masks available in the market for you to choose from. You should keep in mind your skin concerns before deciding on an overnight mask for yourself. For example, if your primary goal is deriving anti-aging benefits, choose a face mask with collagen, ceramide, peptides, etc. Hyaluronic acid is another ingredient in a face mask that not only provides hydration but also reduces lines and wrinkles, making your facial skin smooth and plump.
You can discuss with your dermatologist to know which overnight mask will suit your skin the best. Do try SkinKraft’s AI quiz, to know your skin better and order skincare products customised specifically for you.
You can also make an overnight face mask right in your home. Here are a few ideas for you to try out.
1. Turmeric Face Mask
Turmeric is a favorite when it comes to skin care for its multiple benefits. It has antioxidant, antiinflammatory and antimicrobial properties which makes your skin glow naturally. Add milk to turmeric and you get the goodness of lactic acid in the form of gentle moisturisation.
How to use:
- Mix a spoonful of turmeric powder in a small amount of milk.
- Apply this mixture on a clean, dry face.
- Let it dry a little before hopping onto bed. Use an old cloth or towel over your pillow to prevent stains from the mask.
- Wash off the next morning.
- You can use this mask 2-3 times a week.
2. Charcoal Mask
A charcoal mask is great for your skin as it not only removes the dirt and impurities from your skin but also helps to maintain the oil balance. This mask is especially helpful if you are prone to getting acne.
How to use:
- Mix 2-3 charcoal tablets with a spoonful of gelatin powder.
- Add the required amount of water to make this into a paste.
- Heat for a few seconds in the microwave to activate the charcoal.
- Cool it down a bit before applying and leave it on overnight.
- Wash off with lukewarm water the morning after.
- Use once a week to get best results.
3. Coconut and Tea Tree Oil Mask
Coconut oil boosts your skin’s protective barrier by locking in the moisture, enhancing collagen production and reducing inflammation among other things. Tea tree oil has antimicrobial properties that keep the acne producing germs at bay. This mask is also great for reducing hyperpigmentation and fading scars.
How to use:
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to a spoonful cold pressed, virgin coconut oil.
- Mix well and apply on your face before going to bed.
- Wash off with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Apply this mask thrice a week to get visible results.
4. Honey Mask
Honey is known for its moisturizing properties. Thus, it’s great for using on skin.
How to use:
- Take one teaspoon of honey and apply it all over the face.
- Leave it overnight
- Wash it off the next morning using a mild cleanser.
- Apply this mask thrice a week
5. Aloe Vera Mask
Known for its hydrating properties, aloe vera is a magic ingredient when it comes to skin care. You can use it as an overnight face mask, together with Vitamin E to achieve desired results.
How to use:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and 2 Vitamin E capsules and apply it on your face.
- Wash it off the next morning using cold water.
- You can apply this face mask four times a week.
Tips For Using An Overnight Face Mask Correctly
Never apply your face mask over an unclean face or with your makeup on. This will clog your pores and make your skin break out.
If you are using a face mask that is in a paste form, allow it to dry before getting into bed. You can use an old towel over your pillow to avoid soiling it.
Overnight face masks are usually gentle in nature as they are going to sit on your skin for a long period of time. However, do perform a patch test or consult with your dermatologist before using one for the very first time.
Can You Use An Overnight Mask Every Night?
This entirely depends on which overnight face masks you are using. If you are using a hydrating face mask or a face mask with anti-aging benefits, it is recommended to use them every night. However, certain overnight masks contain stronger ingredients and can be used only a couple of times a week.
If you are buying your overnight mask from the market, follow the instructions given by the manufacturer regarding the frequency of usage. Alternatively, consult with a certified professional to know what will suit you the best.
Overnight face masks offer protection, hydration and a multitude of other benefits while you can enjoy a good night’s sleep. Choose an overnight mask that meets your skin’s requirements the best. Most overnight masks are gentle and can be used on a daily basis. However, read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully or consult an expert to confirm what works for you the best.
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.