When it comes to showing some extra love to your hair, a suitable hair mask is one of the best options you have. Your hair goes through a lot every day - the stress of styling, exposure to the sun, pollutants and so on. So whether you have specific hair concerns or even if you just want to pamper your locks once in a while, hair masks can come in handy.
But it is very important to choose the right mask for your hair. We bring to you what hair masks are, how they work and a bunch of hair masks that can solve your hair problems.
What Is A Hair Mask And How Does It Work?
A hair mask is a hair care product that penetrates deep into your hair to provide hydration and nourishment from the roots to the tips. Just like face masks address skin concerns, hair masks can take care of your hair concerns such as dandruff, split ends, dry, damaged hair shafts, etc.
Hair masks usually contain natural oils and other active ingredients that not only rejuvenate your hair but also promote hair growth. Hair masks are usually more intense in nature than conditioners and definitely do more than just protecting your precious locks.
Why Should You Use A Hair Mask?
- Hair masks can be a part of your regular hair care routine for the maintenance of the healthy shine of your hair.
- If you have straightened, coloured or chemically treated hair, it tends to be prone to more damage. Using a hair mask will benefit your hair.
- If your hair looks frizzy or your curls are limp, a good hair mask is all you need to enliven them.
- Hair masks nourish your hair from inside out
If you have dandruff that refuses to go away, using a good anti-dandruff hair mask can end your troubles.
The Best Mask For Your Hair
To choose the right mask for your hair, you should be aware of the current health of your hair. A lot of conditions both external and internal can alter the state of your hair. You can try SkinKraft’s AI-enabled KnowYourHair questionnaire to assess your current hair condition and receive products crafted especially for your hair goals.
You can either buy a readymade hair mask or even make one at home with all-natural ingredients. Here are 8 DIY hair masks for your hair’s specific needs.
1. Coconut Oil & Banana
This hair mask is great for dry, rough hair.
Coconut oil helps to lock in the moisture, while lauric acid present in it reduces inflammation, fights infection and improves the overall health of your scalp. Ripe bananas are rich in silica, potassium and vitamin B6 among other nutrients. These improve both your scalp and the shaft of your hair.
How to use
- Mash a ripe banana using a fork. Mix sufficient coconut oil depending on the length of your hair.
- Apply this mask on your hair and leave it on for half an hour.
- Wash your hair with herbal shampoo for the best results.
2. Honey & Olive Oil
This mask works well for dry, damaged and rough hair.
How to use
- Make a smooth blend of honey and olive oil taken in equal parts.
- Apply this mask throughout the length of your hair and leave it on for an hour.
- Wash off with a gentle shampoo.
3. Green Tea & Apple Cider Vinegar
If you have an itchy or irritated scalp and flakes forming on your scalp, this mask can come to your rescue.
Green tea is rich in antioxidants which calms inflammation and soothes your scalp. Apple cider vinegar has alpha-hydroxy acids along with vitamins B and C that exfoliates and nourishes your scalp and prevents skin from flaking.
How to use
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of freshly prepared green tea. You can also add a drop or 2 of peppermint oil to this mix.
- Apply this mask and leave for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wash with a non-fragrant, SLS free shampoo.
4. Yoghurt & Fenugreek seeds
This mask helps fight excessive dandruff.
The lactic acid in yoghurt gently clears your scalp, whereas the probiotics present in it help restore the normal flora of your scalp. Fenugreek seeds have saponins and flavonoids that have antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties which help fight dandruff.
How to use
- Soak a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of yoghurt for 8 hours.
- Massage this mix gently onto your scalp and hair.
- Let the mask sit for 2 hours before rinsing it off with warm water.
With its multiple benefits, hibiscus suits all hair types and can improve hair growth if your hair is thinning or your hairline is receding.
Among the many benefits that hibiscus flowers offer for your hair, the most remarkable is promoting the growth of new hair and strengthening the hair roots. So if your hair is thinning out or your hairline is receding, this hair mask is the one for you.
How to use
- Boil a few red hibiscus flowers in coconut oil and strain the mixture.
- Massage this mix on your scalp first and then on the length of your hair.
- Let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Wash off using warm water and shampoo.
6. Egg White & Lemon
This is a great solution for excessively oily hair.
Egg whites have proteins that nourish your hair and enzymes that break down the oil and grime at your hair roots making it easy to wash them off. Lemon is rich in vitamin C which stimulates the hair follicles.
- Do not use on coloured hair as lemon may bleach the hair colour.
- Do not expose your hair to direct sunlight for a few hours after applying this mask.
How to use
- Take one egg white with 3 to 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix it well.
- Apply to your hair and scalp, rubbing it in gently.
- Let it sit for an hour.
- Wash it off with shampoo and lukewarm water.
7. Avocado & Olive Oil
This mask is great for hair that has split ends and is damaged.
Avocados are rich in vitamin B and vitamin E which boosts your hair at the cellular level. It also has omega-3 fatty acids which help restore moisture and repair damaged hair.
How to use
- Mash up a ripe avocado and add a few drops of olive oil to it.
- Apply this mask on your scalp and hair and leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Rinse your hair and wash with a gentle shampoo.
8. Aloe Vera & Castor Oil
This can work wonders for hair, by adding volume to it. Aloe vera and castor oil are suitable for damaged hair that has split ends.
If you want your hair to grow thicker, this is the perfect mask for you. Aloe vera hydrates your hair while castor oil provides deep conditioning which improves the texture of your hair.
How to use
- Mix half cup of aloe vera gel with a tablespoon or 2 of castor oil.
- You may also add a few drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Massage this mixture from the roots to tips covering your entire hair length.
- Let the mask stay on for around 20 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
How Often Should You Use A Hair Mask?
While most hair masks should be used once every week, a lot depends on the purpose and the kind of hair mask you are using. So, if your hair seems to be in need of intensive care, you can go for a hair mask, up to 2 to 3 times a week. You can consult a certified beautician if you are unsure of the frequency of usage of your hair mask.
What Happens If You Leave A Hair Mask On For Too Long?
This again depends on the type of hair you have and the kind of mask you are using. If you have dry and frizzy hair, certain oil masks can even be left overnight for best results. If your hair is oily then having a hair mask on for too long can make your hair go limp.
In general, if you leave your hair mask for too long, your hair cuticles get coated and are unable to breathe. Also, some store-bought masks have high levels of proteins, for which you should strictly adhere to the instructions given along with the product. Prolonged exposure to these masks can cause breakage in your hair.
Hair Mask Mistakes You Must Avoid
- Do not forget to dilute ingredients like essential oils, apple cider vinegar, etc. as these are very potent and can cause damage to your hair if used undiluted.
- Do not forget to do a patch test before using a mask for the first time. It is especially important if you have sensitive skin.
- While applying the hair mask, do not overdo the massaging, as this may weaken the roots of your hair and cause hair fall.
- Never use a mask on dirty hair as this won’t allow nourishment to enter the inner layers of your hair strands. It is better to shampoo your hair before using the hair mask.
- If you prefer to use a hair conditioner, it is recommended to use it after the hair mask.
Hair masks are a great solution to revive and rejuvenate your hair. But you must understand the requirements of your hair and choose the correct hair masks. Here we have discussed 8 different masks that can be used for different hair concerns. You can always consult an expert in case you have any doubts regarding your hair condition or which mask will be appropriate for you.
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful